Class of 2018 Outcomes: Margaret Shaffer Manages Marketing for Optic Nerve

Class of 2018 Outcomes: Margaret Shaffer

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2018:

Name: Margaret Shaffer

Hometown: Edwards, Colorado

Major: Strategic Communications

Post-graduation plans: Shaffer joins Optic Nerve as the lead marketing coordinator and will be in charge of the summer and winter marketing for sunglasses and goggles. Whether it be marketing campaigns or trade shows, she will be running shows from start to finish. Shaffer will be the only person in charge of and working in the Optic Nerve office for marketing.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU gave me the confidence to go after my dreams. Without HPU, I would not have felt ready to apply for and eventually start my career as the lead marketing coordinator for a major retail company. The classes, mentors and networking that High Point University offers is what helped me continue to grow my professional skills while also challenging me to grow as an individual. This lead me to where I am today! I attended almost every event I could that was put on by the Office of Career & Professional Development. They helped introduce me to the amazing marketing agency, Creative Allies, which gave me an opportunity for an extensive and rewarding internship that further prepared me for my new position in Denver. Without that office, I would not be as ready as I am to be a full-time marketing professional.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor John Mims really showed me how exciting and beneficial social media can be to a business and to a communications professional. Without his class and his emphasis on social media management, I would not have found my passion for digital marketing or social media management. Fand for that I am forever grateful! Professor Steve Harvey also helped me find confidence in myself, even when trying something new and outside my comfort zone. I may not work in broadcasting, but I use the skills I learned in his class, editing, public speaking, etc., all the time.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The President’s Freshman Seminar with Dr. Qubein. Period. It is important to do well in your classes and push yourself to grow in your skill set, but never underestimate the power of life skills. I realize now that his seminar set my entire college career up for success, and my professional career as well. To all underclassmen, pay attention to his lessons. You will be surprised by how much they change your life.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Never stop networking! Go to as many events as possible, do not be afraid to share your story and always remember to smile. I never would have gotten where I am today without my drive and confidence to hold my own in a conversation. Also, be patient. It may seem like everyone around you has a plan but things are not always as they seem. Keep growing your skill sets even after you graduate, and never stop putting yourself out there! You can never have too many connections.”