Class of 2018 Outcomes: Alexandra Burke Commences Career with Robert Peirce & Associates

Class of 2018: Alexandra Burke

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2018:

Name: Alexandra Burke

Hometown: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Major: International relations with minors in Spanish and history

Post-graduation plans: Burke joined Robert Peirce & Associates as a paralegal and will be creating, writing and editing legal documents for the firm. Through reading, researching and analyzing medical records, she will present both written and verbal reports to the attorneys for aid in their review of specific cases. At times Burke is responsible for acting as a liason between the attorneys and clients in solving problems, conversing with clients in Spanish when needed and supporting the attorneys through the litigation process.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU, in my experience, has always been an environment where the professors and staff will personally work with you to achieve your goals and believe in you enough to genuinely want you to succeed. HPU has helped me to get where I am now by providing an environment that continually sets students up for success, especially through utilization of their resources. Though I had jobs and internships throughout college, before to my current job I had never gone through an authentic interview process. Kellie in the Office of Career & Professional Development eased my nerves about the process and helped me to recognize that I did have the skills to excel in an interview, despite not having experience. Besides her help with resume and cover letter editing, Kellie simply believed in me. She helped me to recognize that I did have enough knowledge and the skill set to get a post-grad job.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentors at HPU were Dr. Carrón of the Spanish Department and Dr. Setzler of the Political Science Department. Sophomore year, when I needed just one more Spanish class for my international relations major, Dr. Carrón encouraged me to consider a minor. Although my Spanish classes were probably the most challenging, minoring in Spanish was one of the most authentic and worthwhile experiences I had at HPU. From extra help in class to career advice and life advice, Dr. Carrón supported me through everything. His classes gave me an appreciation for and interest in Hispanic culture and the language skills I use today. Dr. Setzler, my advisor, did much more than sign off on my classes. Through his advising, he instilled confidence in my choices and helped steer me in the right direction during my college career. When I was in a difficult class and ready to give up, he encouraged me to stick with it and learn through the struggle. He also encouraged me to take a few classes that were outside of my major to expand my horizons. Without Dr. Setzler’s guidance, I’m not sure I would have received the same education. He helped me to become a better student.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment was the moment I decided that HPU was the place for me. I was with my Dad at an open house and I had already received an acceptance letter. We were sitting in Hayworth Fine Arts listening to Dr. Qubein speak and he asked the crowd something similar to: ‘Do you want to be ordinary or extraordinary?’ My dad and I looked at each other and I said, ‘I’m going to school here.’ That day, I enrolled after being captivated by Dr. Qubein’s story of perseverance and positivity. That story continued to resonate with me throughout my four years of school. That moment  changed the course of my life and I would not be where I am today without this school.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Learn what works for you. Use the environment and resources that HPU gives you to form your own path. Get out of your comfort zone, but live with balance. Take the challenging class, but also find where you thrive and take those classes too. Embrace the liberal arts mentality, and let HPU shape you into a well-rounded individual. Finally, appreciate where you are because gratefulness and making the most out of any situation can really get you places. And, remember there’s no other place like this.”