Class of 2018 Outcomes: Joshua Berg Becomes Technical Analyst at Key Risk

Class of 2018 Outcomes: Joshua Berg

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2018:

Name: Joshua Berg

Hometown: Mooresville, North Carolina

Major: Physics

Post-graduation plans: Berg joined Key Risk Insurance as a technical analyst, working within the actuarial department. Berg spends time coding to automate various processes and create more time for the actuary team to perform additional analysis. He works with a vast assortment of data sets on things such as risk locations, rates, lost costs and rate revisions, which all effect quantity of premium needed.

How HPU helped you get there: “While I was a student at HPU, I never truly understood how beneficial the university was going to be in preparing me for my future professional endeavors. I remember going to the Presidential Seminar as a freshman and Dr. Nido Qubein speaking about how important the little details are. HPU took care of all the “little things” for me, which allowed me to focus on the bigger ideas, like my education. The size of the school was key to making connections and life-long friendships. The elegance of the classrooms, libraries and study areas motivated me to strive for perfection and to never be complacent. I never thought that I would step foot in the Career and Professional Development Office, but I am sure glad that I did. My only regret is that I didn’t do it sooner. It is never too early to utilize these offices as a resource. They assisted me with preparing for informational interviews, working on my cover letter, resume and so much more.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Aaron Titus was the greatest of all time when it comes to mentors. Not one to shy away from a good pun, he always made sure I felt like I mattered ‘….unless I multiplied myself by the speed of light…’ then he made sure that I felt energized. His enthusiasm was contagious and it made me want to work harder each and every day. The techniques and concepts that he taught me for coding in Python are I now implement every day at work. If you happen to be reading this, thank you Dr. Titus.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment I had at HPU was accepting a bid and joining the fraternity Sigma Nu. That single piece of paper opened so many doors for me and would eventually lead to me becoming a better student and person. Joining Sigma Nu allowed me to do charity work, to form professional and personal connections and to hold leadership positions. Go Snakes!”

Advice for underclassmen: “Prior to graduating, there are many things that you can do to prepare you for the professional world. Start inquiring and applying for jobs as early as you can and look into internships! Do not get frustrated if you do not have immediate success. With each job interview you will gain more experience that you can utilize moving forward. Most importantly, do not worry! You are more ready than you think you are. Trust your instincts.”