Class of 2018 Outcomes: Laura Smith Recruits for Aerotek

Class of 2018 Outcomes: Laura Smith

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2018:

Name: Laura Smith

Hometown: Queensbury, New York

Major: Strategic Communication

Post-graduation plans: As a recruiter at Aerotek in the industrial division, Smith will build relationships with clients’ hiring managers and find the best possible candidates to fill open positions.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has helped by providing all of the right resources. My professors always believed in me and encouraged me to be the best that I could be. They were always there and willing to go the extra mile to help with anything. They only want the best for their students and love to assist in any way they can. The Career and Professional Development Office was also a great resource in helping me with my resume and LinkedIn profile as well as providing advice, network opportunities and interview preparation. My freshman year, Doug Hall was my success coach. He later moved into the Career and Professional Development Office and really helped me with my resume and LinkedIn profile. He was always there to talk to and give advice. Everyone in that office is super giving and always willing to help you out.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor would have to be President Qubein. I respected his Freshman Seminar on Life Skills which taught everything from time management to communication and presentation skills. He is a constant presence on campus and models the values he strives to instill in every HPU student.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was joining Alpha Gamma Delta. The Greek Life organization allowed me to surround myself with amazing women, as well as mentors. While interviewing with potential employers, my involvement in my sorority was a major topic of conversation, and I know the life skills I acquired while being in a sorority will play a huge role in my career.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Don’t think that you have to have your life figured out freshman year. Go to the activities fair, join clubs, listen to Dr. Qubein, and take advantage of the endless resources that HPU provides. Everything will fall into place.”