Montlieu Academy Students Enjoy Fall Festival at HPU

Montlieu kindergartner Jeremiah Ross, front left, and classmates compete in a sack race at HPU’s annual fall festival.

HIGH POINT, N.C., Nov. 9, 2018 – Children from Montlieu Academy of Technology jumped and raced across the intramural fields at High Point University on Nov. 8 as they enjoyed an outdoor fall festival planned just for them.

Makenley Manuel, a second-grader from Montlieu Academy of Technology, slides down an inflatable slide during a fall festival hosted by High Point University.                                                                                                                                        

About 150 kindergartens through fifth grade students played games and enjoyed a sunny afternoon of pizza, cotton candy and snow cones.

For second-grader Makenley Manuel, the large inflatable slide was the most fun.

“I’m having lots of fun,” she said. “I slid down the slide.”

For Jeremiah Ross, a kindergartner, the sack race was his favorite.

“Hopping to the table was my favorite,” he said.

The event was their reward for earning honor roll or displaying positive behavior since the start of the school year.

“This is exciting because school today is more rigorous, so it’s great we can come down the road to HPU and have our kids release some energy,” said second-grade teacher Chyna Shiver.

HPU hosted a fall festival on Nov. 8. Students from Montlieu Academy participated in games like picking out a duck from the pool to see what number they selected.

HPU’s Volunteer Center coordinates the event each year. Student volunteers and members of organizations including the Art Club, Kappa Sigma and the Civitan Club organized games and activities to help create a special day for the kids.

Mikayla Labbe, a junior who is vice president of the Volunteer Center, says the event is just as exciting for HPU students as it is for the children.

“We look forward to this event each year,” Labbe said. “It was so much fun seeing how happy the kids were to be on a mini field trip. They loved the carnival games, and I loved seeing all of their cute, painted faces smiling all day long.”

Charlie Taylor and Andrejs Worsham, sophomore business majors, were also among the crowd of HPU students helping out.

“I remember being in elementary school and having a lot of fun like this,” said Taylor. “I love giving back. It’s one of the values I uphold for myself. It makes my day when I can make other people’s day.”

Worsham added, “I like watching the kids have fun. It’s a beautiful day to do this and I know these kids will remember it.”

“It’s really wonderful to see how HPU gets involved and gives back to the community, and I’m excited to be a part of a university that values service to others the way HPU does,” said Shauna Zupan, a resident director who advised students in planning the event. “We hope Montlieu’s students have had a good time and feel acknowledged and rewarded for their hard work.”