Class of 2019 Outcomes: Emily Lyon Gains Acceptance to Medical School

Class of 2019 Outcomes: Emily Lyon

Though commencement behind is months away, recent High Point University seniors are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Emily Lyon

Hometown: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 

Major: Exercise science and biology

Post-graduation plans: Emily Lyon will be attending medical school at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences located in Bethesda, Maryland. 

How HPU helped you get there: “I have many mentors here at HPU that have helped me get accepted to my first choice for medical school. My freshman Success Coach helped me choose a career path that was right for me and choose a major and schedule that would set me on track. My academic advisors and teachers always went above and beyond to help me excel in the classroom, and my coaches and teammates always supported my dreams. I had an extraordinary ecosystem of support at HPU. I met with the Office of Career and Professional Development during my junior year to set up a timeline of medical school applications and goals. They helped me generate ideas for my personal statement, suggested good MCAT prep courses, and taught me how to choose a program that was right for me. During my senior year, after all my applications were submitted, I met with Dr. Bill Gentry to prepare and practice with mock interviews. When I went in for my real interview, I nailed it, and soon after received my acceptance!”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Britt Carl was my most impactful mentor at HPU. She was my freshman success coach, A.K.A. my mom away from home, who helped make sure my transition to college life went as smoothly as possible. She was there for me even outside of academic advising. Britt helped me nail down my goals for after graduation and adjusted my class schedules so I was on the best track for success. Even though I was assigned a different advisor for my major after freshman year, she stayed in touch with me and always asked how everything was going when we saw each other on campus.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was when I earned Junior Marshal status and got to serve as a leader during graduation. Watching all of my friends a year above me graduate and begin to their dream jobs and graduate schools was so inspiring. I also really enjoyed hearing Josh Groban’s speech and learning about his incredible journey to become who he is today.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice to underclassmen is to challenge yourself at HPU. Don’t be content picking classes that may come easily to you just because you want a good grade. Pick classes that will stimulate you. Join a club or two. Get involved in research. Learn time management skills. Secure an internship. Study abroad. Put yourself out there and network. Get comfortable with being uncomfortable so that you are prepared for any curveballs that the real world throws you.”