Class of 2019 Outcomes: Mandy Engelman Migrates to Mullen Lowe Mediahub

Class of 2019 Outcomes

Though commencement is months away, High Point University seniors are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019: 
Name: Mandy Engelman

Hometown: Pinehurst, North Carolina

Major: Strategic communication with a minor in sales

Post-graduation plans: After graduating a semester early in December of 2018, Engelman accepted a position at Mullen Lowe Mediahub as the assistant media planner, where she will be responsible for planning both offline and online media channels. Her main role is to work closely with the media planner in developing and maintaining media plans and ensuring deals are met and clients are happy.

How HPU helped you get there: “Throughout my time as a student, I have had extraordinary opportunities. I have been able to meet and discuss ideas with Marc Randolph, who encouraged me to pursue a career in advertising, Biz Stone, who reminded me that in order to be successful you must never forget to be creative, and Steve Woz, who helped reunite me with my passion of writing. The Entrepreneurship club allowed me the unique opportunity to pitch my blog to Marc Randolph, which was my first experience giving a pitch. This experience, combined with the club’s faculty leader, Kathy Elliot, was the first time I thought of myself as a young woman with a business instead of a girl with a blog. Winning the Pagon Grant for Young Entrepreneurs from the Entrepreneurship Club freshman year gave me the necessary funding to reinvent my blog, and has opened many doors for me on my career path. Participating in the PSB Selling Club & our sales competitions taught me how to sell myself, gave me interview skills, knowledge on how to dress professionally, and most importantly how to sell in a high-pressure situation. My most favorite memories are the three sales competitions I was able to attend and compete at. In the Office of Career and Professional Development, Doug Hall has been instrumental in my career development. Our relationship began when he was my success coach Freshman year. He has guided me through every major career decision I’ve made since then. I also attended HPU in the City: NYC October of my freshman year. This trip is what made me create my first resume and was my first introduction to the career life skills HPU teaches us.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “It is hard to pick just one. I credit my success to my three incredible mentors who have become dear friends: Kathy Elliot, Phil Watson and Larry Quinn. They have been my biggest cheerleaders. I truly do not think I would be the young woman I am now without the guidance of these three. Elliot showed me that I am more than a young woman with a blog, I am a young woman with a business. Through my three and a half years, professor Watson has helped me sort through my various different internship and job opportunities. He has a special way of explaining how each opportunity can affect the future while guiding me to make the decision on my own. However, I think Larry Quinn is the most incredible mentor I could have ever asked for. He went above and beyond to help me with my career search and life in general. He willingly wrote a letter of recommendation to a hiring manager at a company I applied to, coached me on each level of the interview process, helped me on salary negations, was there to celebrate the wins and the loses. For the last month of school, we met every day to discuss my interviews and just life. He always made sure that I never lost sight of who I was, what my passions were and that I was happy. Though traveling and preparing for sales competitions, to learning in the classroom and at sales club – I don’t think I could quantify the impact Professor Quinn has had on my life.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was the month I spent in Spain on my Marketing in Spain maymester. Having the opportunity to expand my learning about marketing, sales and advertising beyond the classroom to a global setting showed me the importance of being a global citizen. This was my first time in Europe and I loved navigating the language barrier and cultural differences. The trip taught me a lot about interacting with people, how to be spontaneous and truly leave my comfort zone in order to thrive. I only knew two people when I showed up at the airport to depart to Spain but I returned with my best friends and my favorite memories of college.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of every opportunity HPU has to offer, no matter how small or even if it doesn’t relate to your major. I joined the entrepreneurship club not knowing what it entailed and the sales club having no interest in a career in sales, but I thought both sounded fun and useful. I met my best friends and mentors, have had my most incredible experiences and learned my most valuable lessons through these clubs. They brought in speakers that are very helpful for both career advice and networking opportunities. HPU prides itself as being a premiere life skills university and it gives you every opportunity to strengthen and acquire the skills necessary to be successful in life and at work.”