Class of 2019 Outcomes: Julia Redbord Uses Communication Skills for CDW

Julia Redbord

Although commencement is months away, recent High Point University graduates are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019 who graduated a semester early:

Name: Julia Redbord

Hometown: Asbury Park, New Jersey

Major: Strategic communication with a minor in marketing

Post-graduation plans: Redbord is joining CDW as an inside sales account representative in Eatontown, New Jersey. She will be the customer’s point of contact for all IT needs and will be there to assist with any concerns they express. Her job is not only in the sale of computers but also in building lasting relationships with clients.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped get me to where I am by offering me so many amazing opportunities. Our classes do not just revolve around a textbook or powerpoints, they prepare us for the real world. My sales classes not only taught me how to sell a product but more importantly, how to sell myself. I definitely have the course Sales in Dynamic Environments to thank for my interview skills, and the Office of Career & Professional Development helped me perfect my resume when applying to jobs.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU is Professor John Mims. Over the course of my four years at HPU, I have taken every single class that Professor Mims had to offer. He is always willing to help me inside and outside of the classroom. His office door is always open to discuss classwork, give a life lesson or just listen. Anyone that takes one of his classes is a very lucky student. I would not be where I am without him!”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU just happened a few weeks ago. I was waiting in Slane Starbucks for my coffee when a prospective student’s mother started a conversation with me. She asked me all the usual questions: ‘Do you like it here?’ ‘What’s your major?’ ‘Where are you from?’ and ‘What year are you?’ Then she asked me this: ‘Was it all worth it? After all four years, was it all worth it?’ I smiled at her and said ‘absolutely.’ I explained to her that every class lecture, sleepless all-nighter, and 15-page research paper was, in fact, all worth it. I got to spend the past four years finding my best friends, finding a career and finding myself. I explained to her that the opportunities given to HPU’s students were unlike any other university. Now, it’s not that I never thought about these things before. Believe me, I have always been grateful to attend High Point University. But it was the look on that mother’s face that made that moment so impactful. I’m almost positive her daughter is attending HPU in the fall of 2019.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice to underclassmen is to never give up on yourself. Throughout my four years, I was hit with a lot of adversity. It would have been so easy to just throw my hands in the air and give up. But regardless of the tough times, I went to class, studied and did what I had to do. I never gave up on myself, and you shouldn’t either. I promise you the finish line will feel so much better if you know that you worked your absolute hardest to get there.”