Internship Profile: Haley Hartje Interns with Dr. Oz

Name: Haley Hartje

Hometown: Guilford, Connecticut

Major: Strategic Communication

Internship: As a publicity intern on The Dr. Oz Show, Hartje accepted an incredible opportunity during her second semester of senior year and was exposed to various tasks including maintaining daily press clips, creating press lists on Cision, and supporting show tapings with show notes. She also conducted research on celebrity guests and social media trends while creating press blasts.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has always supported me, and the clubs I joined provided unforgettable experiences that helped me prepare for the entertainment industry. I would like to thank HPU for allowing me to interview the artists that came for our fall and spring concerts and for sending me on a trip to Los Angeles that connected me with amazing companies and individuals in the entertainment industry. The public speaking classes I took as a part of my communication major helped tremendously with my interviews. The Office of Career & Professional Development is always available to help you with your resumé to make sure it is professional and ready to send out to companies!”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I would like to thank Joe Michaels and Martin Yount for always believing in my passion and spending hours on end in the School of Communication giving me advice or helping me with certain projects that were key to my success in this industry.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “Working at The Dr. Oz show never felt like an internship. It always felt like a job. I had my own office with the other interns, and we were given full responsibility to our everyday tasks. I quickly learned how to work under pressure in a professional environment and learned what works best with certain projects.”