Internship Profile: Matthew Bacigalupo Interns with the Carolina Thunderbirds

Internship Profile

Name: Matthew Bacigalupo

Hometown: Vienna, Virginia

Year: Class of 2019

Major: Entrepreneurship

Internship: Bacigalupo will be assisting with game-day operations for the Carolina Thunderbirds in Winston Salem. As a team in the Federal Hockey League, he will be working sold out games assisting sponsors throughout the arena, operating the entranceway for the players to come onto the ice and facilitating the timeout and intermission promotions. He will have full access throughout the arena during games and interact with all of the back office executives to make sure everything is running smoothly.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has helped me in so many more ways than just in the classroom. It really is a Life Skills university that helps students with communication, resumé building, cover letters and mock interview exposure. There are so many people that you can reach out to who are more than happy to assist you and help you reach your professional goals. I had a business card of someone who helped students in the D.C. area that I eventually want to work in, so I sent an introductory e-mail to them and to set up a meeting. Doug Hall in the Office of Career and Professional Development sat down with me and gave me some ideas of internships that would steer me in the right direction to eventually reach my goal of working full-time with the Washington Capitals. He helped me revise my resumé to make it more appealing to the employers I was trying to reach. Shortly after our meeting, I submitted my resumé and cover letter into the Carolina Thunderbirds for a game-day operations internship, and about a week later, I heard back from them offering me the position. I worked my first game three days later and I couldn’t be happier with what I’m doing, the people I’m working with and being around the game of hockey.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “There are so many teachers and faculty I’d like to thank, but if I had to pick one mentor or someone that has really made an impact on my life it would be Dr. Doug Hall. While I’ve only known him for a few months up to this point, he’s helped me tremendously in taking the next step towards the life I’m trying to set up for myself. I told him my situation, asked for suggestions and things fell into place. Now I couldn’t be happier with how my career path is turning out.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship thus far has been everything I could have hoped for and I can’t wait for the next time I get to go and work a game. The atmosphere in the arena is electric and this experience has taught me a lot about what goes on behind the scenes in the sports and entertainment industry. I hope to work in this field for a long time and continue to enjoy what I’m doing every day.”