Class of 2019 Outcomes: Sarah Julian Uses Sales Knowledge for UPS

With commencement just around the corner, recent High Point University graduates are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Sarah Julian

Hometown: Salisbury, North Carolina

Major: Business administration with minors in sales and marketing

Post-graduation plans: Julian will be joining UPS corporate as an associate account executive in Charlotte, North Carolina. She will be doing outside sales and will later take over and be responsible for a territory of her own. 

How HPU helped you get there: “When I changed my major, I became involved with the Professional Selling Club. Although it wasn’t until my junior year, I really decided to invest more time into it. As a senior, I approached Professor Larry Quinn and told him I wanted to go to William Paterson University for the National Sales Challenge. I made the team, we worked hard collectively and placed second overall, and I placed 8th individually. A recruiter from UPS saw my role-playing event, we exchanged contact information and began discussing potential jobs. Several months went by, but because of my sales initiative, UPS put me on a fast track, and I received a job offer thanks to the opportunity HPU’s Professional Selling Club provided me. I utilized the Office of Career and Professional Development when I was formatting my resume and when I was trying to figure out my career path. After a trying year and a half as a Biology Pre-PA, I decided that I needed to change my career path. As a second semester sophomore the day before classes, I became a business administration major, and it was the best decision I have ever made.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor Quinn has been my mentor through the past year and a half that I’ve dedicated to pursuing experience in sales. He helped me throughout competitions, sales processes and has worked with me to perfect my two-minute drill skills. He has provided countless advice and has always made time to speak to me.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at High Point University was helping our team win second in the National Sales Challenge at William Paterson University. It was an honor to be part of this team and to show the sales world what students at High Point University can do.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice to underclassman is to dedicate your time to getting involved and getting experience! Every interviewer I met as a senior had commented on the fact that I held three internships as an undergrad. Make connections, take every opportunity thrown your way, and step outside of your comfort zone.”