Class of 2019 Outcomes: Viktoria Heiser joins Chubb Insurance

With commencement just around the corner, recent High Point University graduates are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Viktoria Heiser

Hometown: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Major: Business administration with a minor in entrepreneurship

Post-graduation plans: Heiser will be working as a financial lines underwriter for the Chubb Insurance company located in San Fransisco, California. In her role, she will focus on the fast-growing industry of Cybersecurity. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU creates an open and unique environment; I felt at home at HPU from day one. The university allows you to work alongside your professors, in such a way that it doesn’t feel like you are at school, but instead feels like you are working with lifelong mentors to reach your goals. Because of the small-sized classes, I have been able to form strong relationships with my professors and classmates. My professors wanted me to succeed not only in class but after graduation. HPU has created an environment where I easily connected with like-minded individuals who strive for success, and they provided me with the instructors and support system I needed to land my dream job. Many of my entrepreneurship classes helped me when it came time for interviews as I was comfortable with sharing my strongest skills. The Office of Career and Professional Development also helped me professionalize my resume. We worked together to emphasize my strongest skills and accomplishments and also changed the format to make it more professional and unique when it came time to use in interviews. Campus as a whole prepared me for the real-world. 1924 Prime Steakhouse is a great example. It’s a fantastic restaurant and a great learning experience for students. I feel prepared to have a meal with my professional team and know the ins and outs of fine dining thanks to HPU.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor has been Kathy Elliott. She has always helped and supported me throughout my entire time at HPU,  and I don’t know where I would have ended up without her. She has taught me how to pitch my ideas, how to impress investors and she continuously mentors me to keep striving toward my goals. After pitching my business concept of Easy Brush, I received a financial boost to help move the businesses forward. The HPU Pagon Family Promising Entrepreneur Fund is a significant gift from Leonard and Kata Pagon that supports students, such as myself, in developing their business plans. Thanks to the Pagon Family, three other students and my idea of Easy Brush were provided with a grant to continue pursuing our business ideas. Professor Elliott has continued to work on this idea with me and help me move forward with it.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was successfully securing a $1,000 award under the Pagon Family Promising Entrepreneur Fund 2019 for my submission of Easy Brush, to help children, elderly, and those with physical limitations with oral hygiene needs. Participating in pitch competitions with my idea and receiving all of the support and feedback from HPU professors and classmates made all the difference. I also was inducted into Sigma Nu Tau, an Entrepreneurship Honor Society during my time at HPU. I was inducted with fellow classmates and the Netflix Co-Founder and HPU’s Entrepreneur in Residence, Marc Randolph. That was an awesome experience and an incredible honor.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Step outside your comfort zone. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there, and try new things. Joining the HPU Entrepreneurship Club has taught me many things about myself I never even knew. Take chances, make mistakes and allow yourself to fail. Tell people your ideas, and be receptive to feedback and criticism. Don’t be afraid to reach out and form connections with your professors, they want you to succeed and to build connections.”