Class of 2019: Paige Unni Works for WEX, Inc.

Unni

Although commencement is just around the corner, recent High Point University graduates are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Paige Unni

Hometown: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Major: Human relations

Post-graduation plans: Unni will be providing key support to the early career pipeline team as an early career program specialist at WEX, Inc. in Portland, Maine. This involves recruiting, talent management, training, development and program management including a campus ambassador program and personalized consulting with newly hired employees.

How HPU helped you get there: “The greatest thing I have gained from High Point University is confidence. Throughout my internship and job search, I never felt unprepared or like I didn’t have something to bring to the table. Every conversation and in every interview, I was able to bring and articulate my value and people noticed. We are taught true life skills at HPU. We are ready for the world as it is going to be. HPU students are different, and it shows. In partnership with my major, the Office of Career & Professional Development has helped me immensely over the years with building my resume, cover letter, website and LinkedIn above all. I have learned invaluable interview techniques, and I have grown in my professional communication skills. The services we are offered are second to none.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “The most impactful mentor I have had at HPU has been Julie Hill. Since my junior year, Julie has been right there cheering me on, advocating for me, helping me to unlock doors, and always pushing me to reach my goals. Whether it was a long and stressful meeting in her office, a quick text of encouragement before I walked into an interview, or that exuberant phone call when I finally accepted my dream job, she has always been there.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment has to be deciding to change my major. Throughout high school and the college decision process, there is so much pressure to choose a major that you will keep for four years and ultimately channel into a career. Part of college is the growth and self-discovery you experience, so being able to recognize that I needed to make a change was a huge part of my story. Now I am doing something that I am truly passionate about. I have Dr. David Bergen and all of the faculty in the Human Relations department to thank for bringing something out in me I never knew I had.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Never stop pushing yourself to go after your dreams. Post-graduation may seem far away now but there are so many things you can be doing to make yourself more knowledgable and more marketable. Attend events and speakers, visit Career & Professional Development, grow your resume and expand your network because the opportunities are endless. Take advantage of it while you can. Life will never be like this again.”