Class of 2019 Outcomes: Bethany Reeves Selects Savannah College of Art and Design

Bethany Reeves

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Bethany Reeves

Hometown: Gilbert, Arizona

Major: Communication with a focus in electronic media production and a minor in graphic design

Post-graduation plans: Following graduation, Reeves will be attending the Savannah College of Art Design (SCAD) to pursue a Master of Arts in graphic design and visual experience. 

How HPU helped you get there: “I am where I am because of my mentors at HPU. They have shaped every step of my undergraduate journey. My freshman year, my success coach counseled me as I changed my major. My career advisor, Doug Hall, has always been my biggest supporter when I was nervous about applying to internships or jobs. My mentor, Joe Michaels has been there to give me advice, no matter how much I didn’t want to hear it. Each of these people has prepared me in different ways and I couldn’t be more thankful. I began utilizing the Office of Career & Professional Development early in my college career. I believe that early action is a huge key to professional confidence and success. Professional development takes time and that’s why the office has several opportunities to exercise that skill in different ways. I learned how to effectively portray my work and abilities on paper by utilizing the resume bar drop-in hours. I learned to get out of my comfort zone and form a network from career fairs. I learned how to market myself and answer tough questions with confidence from mock interviews. I learned about my industry first hand through internships at ABC and WozU. I was always eager to talk to my career advisor about my wins and cry in their office about my losses. They were always there to cheer me on or help me see the lesson I needed to take from each of my experiences. When I told them about my acceptance into my dream graduate program they shared in my excitement as if it were their own.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Joe Michaels has been one of my biggest inspirations and mentors while at HPU. I’ve spent hours in his office seeking advice and sharing experiences. He has encouraged me to push the boundaries of creativity and express myself in everything I do. He has also been there as a critic to give me tough love. I look forward to showing him things I’m working on. His mentorship has shaped my time at HPU.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “One of the very first classes I took at HPU was held in the news studio. I looked around the studio, observing the fast pace at which everyone was moving. Most people might feel stressed about that but I remember feeling so extremely happy that I had found a field that would allow me to combine creativity and excitement every day.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Utilize all of the resources at HPU right away. They’re here for a reason. It’s so easy to keep saying ‘Oh I’ve got a few years left, I’ll go next year.’ Four years sounds like a lot of time but it goes so quickly. You’ll never regret stepping out of your comfort zone and going to a networking event, career fair, or a meeting for a new club. I’m so glad I dove right in my freshman year. It allowed me to experience so much in my time here at HPU and has given me amazing memories and professional confidence.”