Class of 2019 Outcomes: Janay Peebles Practices Faith and Finance

With another successful Commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are kicking off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Janay Peebles

Hometown: Bowie, Maryland

Major: Business administration

Post-graduation plans: Peebles joins City of Praise Family Ministries Center of Hope as a financial officer. She will oversee every transaction that comes through the 14,000 seater church, business warehouses and manage transactions for senior housing which is one of the largest senior living complexes in Landover, Maryland. As well as working with City of Praise Family Ministries, Peebles is pursuing her Masters in Accounting from DePaul University. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has prepared me to work with people from different backgrounds. I learned how to conduct myself in a business environment, be an inspiring leader and bring innovative ideas to the table. The Office of Career and Professional Development aided me in preparing the perfect resume to ensure I was admitted into DePaul University’s Accounting Schools as well as obtain a career in my field.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU was Professor Melissa Griffith. She is one of the most caring and passionate people I’ve met during my college career. She was a major influence in the choosing of my career path.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment I had at HPU was becoming a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority. I not only found a gateway to serve the community, but I also found lifelong friends and sisters, and was able to learn more about my African American history. It gave me the ability to embrace my culture and grow educationally and spiritually with other strong and brilliant women.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice to underclassmen would be to always have a plan A and never settle for a plan B. When you fail, embrace it and use that as ammunition to get back up and run further.”