Class of 2019 Outcomes: Landrie Grace Lands at Orlando Magic

With another successful Commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are kicking off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Landrie Grace 

Hometown: Naples, Florida

Major: Communication with a minor in sport management

Post-graduation plans: Grace joins Orlando Magic as a sales representative in Orlando, Florida. Her primary responsibility is to sell Orlando Magic tickets and group packages to local businesses, individuals, groups, organizations and companies.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has helped me prepare in many different ways. I gained so much confidence from freshman year to graduation. I was well prepared for interviews thanks to classes that discussed the important career tools. I used the Office of Career and Professional Development a lot during my time at HPU. We were very fortunate as students to have this resource on campus when most colleges don’t. They told me what to do differently on my resume and cover letter to set me apart. Also, I held an internship with the American Junior Golf Association as an undergraduate and the interview had a dining component. The skills that I had learned from 1924 Prime prepared me for that moment.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Jenny Lukow was my most impactful mentor. I was fortunate enough to be in many classes with her, and one, in particular, led me down the right path. In the Intro to Sport Management class, she stressed how important it is in the sports industry to make as many connections and to do as many internships as possible. She prepared us for the real world and was able to teach other valuable life lessons in the sports industry. I am forever grateful that I was part of her classes.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “I was on the Women’s Golf team, and my most impactful moment came when I found out I needed hip surgery. I underwent the surgery in my sophomore year, and that was the lowest point in my life. Hip surgery at the age of twenty is relatively unheard of, but through that experience, I was able to readjust, focus and find determination that I needed to work hard to pursue a career in the sports industry. I went on to be selected 50 out of 1500 young professionals across the United States for the American Junior Golf Association internship.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Make as many connections as you can, and do as many internships as you can. I worked the High Point Furniture Market, which is a great opportunity available to HPU students. I put myself out there and did something totally different through that experience. Most employers want to see you step outside your comfort zone, which shows confidence in yourself. That is the biggest lesson I learned throughout my four years at such an amazing university. Never be afraid to put yourself out there. You never know what opportunity will lie ahead.”