Class of 2019 Outcomes: Lane Inchalik Engages with Edward Jones

With commencement just around the corner, recent High Point University graduates are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Lane Inchalik

Hometown: Philosophy with a minor in political science

Major: Guilford, Connecticut

Post-graduation plans: Inchalik joins Edward Jones to train as a financial advisor in Des Peres, Missouri. He plans to open his own branch office near Durham, North Carolina, after the completion of his training and licensing exams. He will be advising clients on how to best manage and invest their assets through intelligent decision making and a calculated approach.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped teach me the life skills necessary to be successful. Over the course of my time here, I have built up the ability to communicate, to think critically and to socialize. When I began applying for positions, I went to a career mixer where I met and spoke with other financial advisors. My time at HPU and nights spend in our learning lab, 1924 Prime, prepared me for that moment. I also credit that the fraternity recruitment process in preparing me for situations where I will be surrounded by many people I have not met but will have the confidence to converse and interact with. I used the Office of Career and Professional Development to look over my resume and help me tailor it to Edward Jones. They were beyond helpful and informative during my application process.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Clint Corcoran has been the best mentor to me over the years. He was my faculty advisor for my philosophy senior seminar. I met weekly with him to discuss the famous ideas of Aristotle and Friedrich Nietzsche. We discussed in depth their ideas of human life, ethics and the consequences of their ideas. Looking back on this, I believe that everyone should have the chance to discuss theories with a true philosopher. Professor Corcoran helped guide me through the development of my thesis, editing the 20-page paper, and provided me with profound, invaluable insights throughout the time we worked together. Thanks to him, I delivered a terrific presentation and received an A in my senior seminar. He has helped me more than any other professor in opening my eyes to the great mysteries of the world and the brilliant insights and ideas that people can develop. I am grateful to have had the chance to work with such a brilliant mind. I have become a more intellectually curious and driven person myself because of professor Corcoran.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “There have been just too many moments to pick just one. It’s been a beautiful time spent at High Point University, and I will miss it greatly after graduation.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice is to focus on building up your character. Take risks, and don’t fear failure. Life is too short to be afraid of anything. Soon enough you will be courageous, and that character trait is incredibly valuable to the world. Learn about the ideas that have built the world we live in and don’t be afraid to live authentically. Avoid spending too much time in the traditional college scene, and work to live a life that you can be proud of. The Ancient Greek axiom still rings true today – “Know Thyself” – So get out there and discover who you are.”