Class of 2019 Outcomes: Thomas Neill Teams with Tom James

With commencement just around the corner, recent High Point University graduates are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Thomas Neill

Hometown: Caldwell, New Jersey

Major: Business administration with a minor in sales

Post-graduation plans: Neill will be joining Tom James as a professional clothier. He will provide a luxury custom clothing service to clients looking for high-quality products and service in New York City. 

How HPU helped you get there: “The professors at HPU really helped mold my professional mind, brought out my best traits, and taught me to turn my weaknesses into strengths.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor Larry Quinn taught me how to negotiate and helped me discover a passion for selling I didn’t know I had. His passion for sales and his energy spread through his classes, allowing for a fun and informative environment. His personal interaction with me opened my eyes to a minor in sales and it speaks to his skills as a sales professor. Taking his class is what landed me the job interview with Tom James. With his guidance and teaching methods I was molded to be the person I am today, and I am truly prepared to handle all of my future life negotiations. Dr. Ben Blozan was also one of the professors during my time at HPU who helped me grow. He taught me music theory and piano, which is something I will cherish for the rest of my life. I have always loved music, and HPU granted me the freedom to pursue that interest through music classes. After a semester learning piano for beginners with Dr. Blozan, he convinced me to take his music theory class and that was one of the best decisions of my life. His knowledge and advice has helped me see music in a new light and helped me further develop one of my life-long passions. He worked with me when I needed it and helped my personal work as a musician. The skills and concepts they taught me were invaluable and made me enjoy coming to classes every day. I can honestly say I’ve never had two professors who I am more thankful for.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My freshmen year career fair really helped me understand what kind of company I wanted to work for and even which type I was not interested in. Through that event, I learned what type of employee I want to be seen as and how to present myself to employers.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Keep with it and be patient. Good things come to those who wait.”