Class of 2019 Outcomes: Virginia Strench Thrives with Threshold Giving

Virginia Strench

With another successful Commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are kicking off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Virginia Strench

Hometown: Annapolis, Maryland

Major: Event management communications 

Post-graduation plans: Strench joins Threshold Giving as a developer in Richmond, Virginia. As part of the Humane Society branch, she will work directly with donors aiding with incoming revenue and retention. 

How HPU helped you get there: “While exploring majors, I discovered my passion for nonprofit work in the event management field. I had wonderful internship opportunities that reinforced my passions and lead me to my new career. The Office of Career and Professional Development helped me with conducting job searches and developing my resume.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Vern Biaett expressed his passion for the event field and convinced me to make it my concentration in the School of Communication. His excellent teaching abilities and the care he has for each individual student’s success was a major contributor to my college experience.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My internship with Junction 311, which my academic advisor helped me land, showed me how capable I was of thriving in even management. It was a wonderful feeling to know you are good at what you do and what you are doing is something you are truly passionate about.”

Advice for underclassmen: “I came to HPU a criminal justice major, and quickly found out it wasn’t the right fit for me. Don’t be afraid to come to HPU undeclared. Explore what is offered, and do not feel rushed or pressured to stay with one path. You may discover hidden talents and courses that make you grow in new ways.”