Class of 2019 Outcomes: Emily Kendall Finds her Future at Furnitureland South

With another successful Commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are kicking off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Emily Kendall

Hometown: Frederick, Maryland

Major: Interior design

Post-graduation plans: Kendall joins Furnitureland South as a design assistant. She will be working collaboratively alongside design consultants in a high-stakes sales environment to help clients seek out their dream furniture, customize the fabric and finish options, source lighting and accessories, put floor plans together, and drive and execute the overall design. Her position combines sales and interior design where she will be able to create genuine and lasting relationships with clients, while simultaneously being able to create solutions for better quality furniture and space design.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me land this position thanks to the resources on campus, which are unparalleled and backed by caring, dedicated faculty and staff. Between professors in and outside of my major, the Office of Career & Professional Development, and the Sales Education Center, I was able to learn how to craft myself as a valuable student and designer, prepare to make professional connections anywhere and turn every action or experience into a new opportunity. This applied to my day to day life in class, work on campus, my furniture market internships, summer internships, attendance of professional events and job application process. As a student at HPU, you can truly take the initiative upon yourself to open any door of opportunity that you wish to, both on campus or in any given professional industry, and there will be an entire network of faculty and staff guiding you on along the way. I worked with the Office of Career & Professional Development heavily during my college career, specifically being with my advisor Kellie McLeod. She assisted me with proofing my resume and cover letter, seeking out job opportunities and potential connections in the area, giving me interview etiquette and “dress for success” tips, and served a general source of professional advice and encouragement. Without the services of Career & Professional Development, I wouldn’t have had the boldened confidence that lead me to land this career with Furnitureland South which so perfectly suits my interests and talents in design.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU was Cathy Nowicki, one of my professors in the School of Art and Design. Mrs. Nowicki was always willing to sit down and talk me through various opportunities, giving me advice about professional etiquette and pursuing further connections. Additionally, she was the faculty advisor for HPU’s International Interior Design Association Chapter, and I served on the executive board as the student president. This allowed me to work closely with her and travel to both local and regional IIDA professional events, giving me an inside look at how my design education translated to the real industry and its professional organizations.”

Most impactful moment at HPU:  “Beginning my sophomore year at HPU, I worked as a university ambassador for admissions and also served in a leadership role as captain during my senior year. My most impactful moment at HPU was the first time I ran into a freshman during move-in week who I’d guided during their first visit. Being able to see the passion and dedication that I consistently poured into giving meaningful tours come full circle was an indescribable experience. And, by the time I graduated there were multiple students I had given tours to that now attend HPU! It was humbling and rewarding to know that throughout my years as a university ambassador, I successfully showed to these students and their families all of the opportunities, resources, and intentional faculty and staff members that make HPU the university we all know and love.”

Advice for underclassmen: “To be successful after graduation, I encourage all underclassmen to do as the wall in Cottrell Hall’s International Student Concourse says… “never miss an opportunity to network.” The connections you make with your peers, with your professors, around campus and in your industry will carry you to internship experiences and eventually career experiences. However, once you land your first job, your networking doesn’t end. If you want to reach further opportunities and grow yourself as both a professional and an individual after graduation, this is merely where your networking begins.”