Class of 2019 Outcomes: Jessica Morgan Sells for the Jersey Devils and the 76ers

With another successful commencement behind us, High Point University seniors have kicked-off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019: 

Name: Jessica Morgan

Hometown: Stafford, Virginia

Major: Sport management with a minor in sales

Post-graduation plans: Morgan began working with Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment as a sales associate in Camden, New Jersey. Her main focus is to sell season tickets for the New Jersey Devils of the NHL and the 76ers of the NBA for events at the Prudential Center.

How HPU helped you get there: “One of the best things HPU provided me was knowing that I had faculty, staff and peers who believed in me. Without being surrounded by such great people, it would have been more challenging for me to to reach my full potential. Because of the course content at HPU, I knew how to interview well, and the emphasis to use LinkedIn for networking helped me gain more contacts in the business. HPU taught me that the little details are what set you apart. After an interview, sending a follow-up handwritten thank-you note showed my interest and willingness to pursue my dreams, setting me apart from the competition. Multiple people I interviewed with brought up how impressed they were to receive something so thoughtful after the interview. HPU’s Athletic Department was the first sports organization to take a chance on me and provide me with experience in the sports field. As a result of my internship with HPU’s Athletic Department, I gained five additional internships throughout my time as an undergraduate. Without that experience, it would have been more challenging to build my resume. The Office of Career and Professional Development was a great resource to review my resume and to give me interview tips.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My advisor, Dr. Lukow, has been one of my biggest supporters throughout my time at HPU. Dr. Lukow was the person that I could go to about any situation happening in my internship. She knew exactly when to push me, but she also knew when to be a sounding board for my ideas and dreams. Dr. Lukow is one of the biggest blessings that has come into my life, and I know that even after graduating, I can reach out for her support anytime.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Joining the executive board for HPU’s chapter of the Sport Management Association (SMA) is one of the most impactful moments I experienced as a student. Through SMA, I gained leadership experience in a club to support other students in my major. The experience I gained led me to new internship opportunities and gave me a great talking point while interviewing with organizations. During my senior year, the executive board was able to work alongside HPU in bringing Dallas Maverick’s CEO Cynthia Marshall in as the new Sports Executive in Residence.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Get involved, and don’t be afraid to fail! While at HPU, you have the opportunity to meet so many people and expand your network. You can make so many friends and gain great leadership experience when you get involved on campus. It’s important to remember that you need to fail in order to grow. Not liking an experience is just as helpful as loving an experience when you are narrowing down what industry you want to build a career in. Some of the best learning experiences come from failure. It is all about how you react to the failure and turn it into a positive experience.”