Class of 2019 Outcomes: Matthew Szczygiel Signs on with Special Event Services

With another successful Commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are kicking off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Matthew Szczygiel

Hometown: Southbury, Connecticut

Major: Communication with a focus in electronic media production and a minor in theatre

Post-graduation plans: Szczygiel signed on with Special Event Services as the lighting technician and programmer in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. He is currently on tour with Luke Combs where he oversees the hookup of 600amps, distribution racks, and hundreds of feet of power and data cable for every concert. Szczygiel also designs and runs lights for the opener, Jameson Rodgers. When not on tour, he preps other shows, repairs lights and tackles local shows in the Winston shop.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me grow out of my shell and gain the confidence I needed to pursue my passion as a career. Music is a cut throat industry, and without the determination and tenacity HPU gave me, I wouldn’t be here today. I worked to pay my half of tuition at a smaller local production company, Imagine Design and Production Services, which helped me network and build contacts I still reference today.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Joe Michaels in the School of Communication was a wonderful teacher and confidant who assured me I could work in whatever aspect of production I wanted to, however difficult, if I met the right people and proved I was determined and willing to work hard.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The Media Fellows take a trip to Los Angeles every summer to network, tour television studios and other ventures of production. This trip not only cemented my friendships but solidified my determination to pursue my career.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Have determination. My mentor taught me that you can do exactly what you want if you work hard enough at it, meet the right people and pursue it with everything you’ve got.”