Class of 2019 Outcomes: Skyler Niles Works for JW Marriot

With another successful commencement behind us, High Point University seniors have kicked-off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019: 

Name: Skyler Niles

Hometown: East Chatham, New York

Major: Business administration with a minor in event management

Post-graduation plans: Niles joined JW Marriott as a guest experience expert to build a memorable and unique experience for guests and to deliver a wide range of services that guide guests through their entire stay. Niles’ tasks include processing operational needs, addressing guest requests, completing reports, sharing the highlights of the local area. Making guests feel like part of the experience.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me get where I am now by providing unlimited experiences and resources for me to take advantage of. They offer very involved and helpful professors who truly want to see their students succeed, and HPU’s focus on life skills has truly prepared me for interviews, internships and my career. Throughout my job search, I did on-site work visits and truly saw what the job would be like day-to-day. I was prepared for my career through the business classes I took and my involvement in the Professional Selling Club. The Office of Career and Professional Development was extremely helpful in polishing up my resume to make sure it was perfect and as professional as possible. They were helpful in creating my cover letters and assisting with internship and job searching. ”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “In the School of Business, both Professor Randy Moser and Professor Larry Quinn were the best mentors to me. In the School of Communication, my event management Professor, Dr. Biaett taught me a lot of practical experience for my career.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment I had at HPU was going to San Diego for the IFEA Conference. At the conference, I listened to and spoke with event management professionals, and I learned new insights for that field. I networked and gained new connections with those who attended the conference.”

Advice for underclassmen: “The advice I would give to underclassmen is to take advantage of every opportunity HPU gives to you. Don’t be scared to step out of your comfort zone because that’s when the best opportunities and experiences come. Another piece of advice I would give to underclassmen would be to build relationships with your professors because they offer the best advice and are extremely helpful during internship and job searching.”