Internship Profile: Corinne King Capitalizes on a Summer with the U.S. House of Representatives

Name: Corinne King

Hometown: Farmington, Connecticut

Major: Political science and business administration

Internship: King is spending the summer in Washington D.C., in the U.S. House of Representatives as a Committee of House Administration intern. Her tasks include both administrative and legislative duties, from organizing data, preparing briefs and creating correspondence to attending hearing and briefings, performing research, and drafting public statements.

How HPU helped you get there: “Both HPU’s Business Communication courses and the Office of Career and Professional Development have helped me prepare for interviews, perfect my resume and learn how to craft memos. The number of times I’ve referenced past course work in the professional setting is amazing. I’ve used Career and Professional Development every semester to draft an updated resume. My resume is constantly changing, so having someone perfect my formatting and information has helped me feel more confident when applying for jobs.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor Steve Alberts makes sure that every one of his students succeeds in his classes by showing interest in our career goals, and providing us with resources and contacts for life outside of the classroom. He also helps to perfect our resumes and interview skills so we can apply the skills we gained from other classes to the workforce.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “Being a part of political organizations at school and being able to transfer that work to Capital Hill has been amazing. It makes it easier to network in the real world once you’ve already laid the groundwork in school. In the House of Representatives, each office has an intern coordinator. After the first month, we met to review tasks I have completed and to receive constructive feedback on how to adjust from the classroom to the professional world. As part of the Congressional Intern Experience, my office helps to coordinate the Intern Lecture Series, which brings members of both the House and Senate along with Cabinet members and media to speak to interns. These daily hearings bring in new perspectives, along with career advice from the top leaders in my field. It has been tremendously beneficial to my education.”