Class of 2019 Outcomes: Elisabeth Holt Pursues a Ph.D.

With another successful commencement behind us, High Point University seniors have kicked-off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019: 

Name: Elisabeth Holt

Hometown: Greensboro, North Carolina

Major: Exercise science with a minor in psychology

Post-graduation plans: Holt is attending the University of South Carolina to pursue a Ph.D. in exercise science.

How HPU helped you get there: “The opportunity to conduct undergraduate research in HPU’s state-of-the-art human biomechanics and physiology lab not only helped me determine my career goals but prepared me to achieve them. The research took my learning beyond the classroom and gave me a deeper understanding of the material. Working in the lab gave me technical skills and life skills – such as critical thinking, the ability to work in a team and the ability to work under pressure. In an interview, I was told that my undergraduate research gave me more experience than most students get from a masters program. The opportunities I’ve unlocked for my future would not be possible without HPU. The Office of Career and Professional Development and the peer career advisors helped me update my resume and LinkedIn profile. Having a professional online presence and being able to present a polished resume at interviews helped me stand apart from other candidates. I attended several networking dinners in the process of applying for graduate schools. HPU prepared me for professional dining through 1924 Prime. Attending Prime dinners made proper etiquette second nature so that now at professional dinners, I feel comfortable and confident in the situation.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Nguyen, my research professor, was my most impactful mentor at HPU. Dr. Nguyen continually pushed me out of my comfort zone and encouraged me to take on new challenges. He trusted me with responsibility and taught me a lot.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was when one of my professors sent me an email wishing me ‘Happy Birthday’ after she saw my name on one of the kiosk screens on campus. That was the moment that I realized the professors here really do care about the students and that I was more than just a number on a roster at HPU.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of as many opportunities as possible while you are at HPU. Use professional development resources, meet new people, and participate in campus activities. Not only will these make your college experience great, but they will make you a well-rounded individual ready to take on the world.”