Class of 2019 Outcomes: Rachael Rice Races to Rue Gilt Groupe

With another successful Commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates have kicked-off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Rachael Rice 

Hometown: Columbus, Ohio

Major: Fashion retail studies with minors in marketing and sales

Post-graduation plans: Rice joins Rue Gilt Groupe as an event coordinator in Boston, Massachusetts. As a merchant for both fashion e-commerce brands Rue La La and GILT, she works to complete purchase orders on behalf of her team and correspond closely with vendors from Jay Godfrey, Likely, Karl Lagerfeld and more. 

How HPU helped you get there: “Through my business classes, I was prepared in professional conversation and confident in my writing abilities. My classes in the School of Art and Design prepared me for a life of success and significance by challenging me, growing me and building upon my understanding of the ever-evolving industry. My professors knew how to pull out my best work and cultivate my potential. I was never afraid to ask for feedback, and the class sizes were small enough to develop profound and meaningful relationships with professors that turned into my mentors. I utilized the Office of Career & Professional Development to help solidify my resume and showcase that I’m a competitive candidate throughout the application process in both my internship experience and now full-time employment. I worked closely with advisors to perfect my resume, cover letter and LinkedIn Profile.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentors while a student at High Point University were Dr. Victoria Brown, Dr. Phil Norwood, Professor Mark Michael and Professor Larry Quinn, who all saw my potential and pushed me to achieve my goals.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The entrepreneurial spirit HPU cultivates in their students is something I will always treasure, as I was always challenged and supported to take calculated risks and take the initiative. It has given me an opportunity to gain involvement in On Point Magazine, High Point University’s student-run Fashion & Lifestyle Magazine, where I began as a section writer. The opportunity soon turned to a leadership position as editor-in-chief of the publication. The magazine is supported by our entrepreneurship club on campus as a developing business and Professor Kathy Elliot has given this once small idea the support and guidance to take the concept to another level. My most impactful moment was during the spring semester, when students curated our spring 2019 issue of On Point Fashion & Lifestyle Magazine, and offered young creatives a voice. My professors were excited to read the work we accomplished over the semester and were compelled to share meaningful feedback to help the magazine continue to grow. 

Advice for underclassmen: “I found it hard to pass up an experience where I knew I had the greatest opportunity for success. Our Premier Life Skills University prepares you for life beyond the classroom, while you’re in the classroom. Take advantage of the opportunities HPU has to offer because they’re all specially tailored to you. And the best part is you never have to do it alone. Someone is always supporting you, every step of the way. You can count on that at High Point University.”