Class of 2019 Profiles: Brianna Scordato Launches a Career with Libby Langdon

With another successful commencement behind us, High Point University seniors have kicked-off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019: 

Name: Brianna Scordato

Hometown: Andover, New Jersey

Major: Interior design 

Post-graduation plans: Scordato joined Libby Langdon Interiors as an interior design assistant in New York City. She will be working with the junior designer to manage the office, tracking project status, working on Computer-aided Design (CAD) for product design lines and graphics for social media platforms. Scordato will assist with high-end residential designs with clients, and will be partnering with the company at a very pivotal moment when new design collaborations with Fairfield Furniture and Paragon are set to launch in Fall 2019 at the High Point Furniture Market.

How HPU helped you get there: “I had a very holistic experience at HPU, which affirmed that I can tackle and conquer many tasks and obligations in a systematic manner. Branching outside of the studio and classroom settings fueled most of my opportunities. I took advantage of the National Society of Leadership and Success and was the Student Government Association  representative and secretary. I collaborated with the On Point Fashion & Lifestyle magazine as the campus community and wellness editor, and I was part of the Alpha Lambda Delta Honors Society. I was a member of Greek Life‘s Kappa Delta Sorority, I collaborated with the Academic Tutoring Services as an interior design tutor, and I was an active member of IIDA & ASID. Spring semester of my junior year, I voyaged to Florence, Italy to study at the Lorenzo de’ Medici Italian International Institute and fell in love with Silversmithing. I designed and produced intriguingly forged jewelry and have carried the trade back to the US to pursue an apprenticeship while finishing my senior year. The High Point Furniture Market gave me a very unique market experience from being a representative for the International Society of Furniture Designers, acting as an event coordinator and assistant for a designer with Baskerville, holding a sales representative position for Regina Andrew Design and specializing in the Mark D. Sikes and Annie Selke brands for the Codarus showroom. I also held an internship at Fortuna Enterprises, where I worked alongside another 2017 HPU Interior Design graduate.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Working with Benita VanWinkle was my most impactful moment. I was able to connect with her on a spiritual level and she became a friend and mentor who guided me through difficult times and pushed me to go for it. She showed interest not only in my photography work but my interior design projects and was very encouraging. My professors, who I spent many tireless hours with, Dr. John Turpin, Dr. Jane Nichols, Ms. Katy Brandt, Mrs. Cathy Nowicki and Mr. Brandon Jones, have all pushed me to not only design with intention but to communicate with purpose and poise.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “One simple knock on a professor’s door changed my life. I had just started my own freelance design for concept development, offering digital rendering services for a product design and licensing company, and I came to her for advice. She was impressed with my perseverance and willingness to take charge of my future outside of the classroom setting and had done so without hesitation or affirmation from others. It happened that on that day, Libby Langdon was in her office behind that door, and had heard our conversation. It was that moment that set me apart, displaying my portfolio to both her and my professor, where I received advice and approval for my work. A few weeks later on the night of my 22nd birthday, I knew a discussion was taking place at the Bienenstock Furniture Library where one of my past employers and Libby would be speaking. I got the chance to interview with Langdon four days later.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Every one of us has a different path of opportunities unlike any other. Your story is uniquely yours and not worthy of comparison. Life will always be a roller coaster and there is no set timeline for the launch of your career. So just go for it! Put yourself out there because some of the most uncomfortable situations became the most valuable and rewarding moments that lead to success.”