Class of 2019 Profiles: Christian Langston Pursues Music Production

With another successful commencement behind us, High Point University seniors have kicked-off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019: 

Name: Christian Langston

Hometown: Eureka, Montana

Major: Philosophy and history

Post-graduation plans: Langston is continuing his music education by attending Icon Collective for the Music Production Program in Los Angeles, California. 

How HPU helped you get there: “The most effective way HPU prepared me was the constant nudging to go out of my comfort zone and do something I am unfamiliar with. Being pushed to take classes I otherwise would not have shaped my interests and studies throughout my time at HPU. The culture of allowing students to experience many things other universities cannot offer, such as research, high-profile lectures, and professional opportunities, opened the door to many avenues for me and my peers. My time at HPU was extremely important to my personal and professional career development, and the things I learned will stick with me moving forward.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor was undoubtedly Dr. Jaqueline Arthur-Montagne. Her willingness to always talk with me and support me in my academic and personal endeavors was instrumental in my success at HPU. She constantly pushed me to new heights and challenged me intellectually, influencing many of my academic pursuits. I am extremely lucky to call her not only a mentor but a friend.”

Most impactful moment at HPU:  “My most impactful moment was the opportunity I had to open for the Fall Concert with Jesse McCartney. That was my first experience performing with a large crowd and it pushed me out of my comfort zone to take the necessary steps toward where I want to be. This is an opportunity I am so grateful for, and I would not have had it if it wasn’t for my HPU.”

Advice for underclassmen: “The best advice I can give is to keep your options open, and to not be afraid to venture into something radically different than what you are used to. I added my philosophy major late in my college career and it proved to be difficult to complete on time, but it was by far the most fulfilling work I have ever done. I now am pursuing a goal in music, a far cry from my initial academic studies, but I am able to attend the same program that many legends have completed. If I had stuck to what I was comfortable with, I never would have found these other avenues that add so much to my life. So do something you would never do, the results might surprise you.”

Are you an HPU graduate with an exciting job or graduate school offer? Share your news with us for a chance to be featured!