Class of 2019 Profiles: Courtney Morris Does Business with Borland Groover

With another successful Commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates have kicked-off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Courtney Morris

Hometown: Saint Augustine, Florida

Major: Double majors in biology and exercise science with a concentration in health and wellness and a minor in business administration

Post-graduation plans: Morris joins Borland Groover as a bookkeeper in Jacksonville, Florida. She will report to the director of finance and work alongside a team of bookkeepers dealing with payroll, financial statements, credit card statements, billing and other financial components to assist with the functionality of one of the largest private practices in Florida.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU gave me the flexibility and confidence to take my education into my own hands. As a result, I created an educational track that gave me a foundation in health science while fortifying it with business administration to enter the rapidly growing career field of healthcare administration. I utilized the Office of Career & Professional Development by forging a relationship with my career advisor, Kellie McLeod, and developing my resume and cover letter. When we learned we went to the same church she encouraged me through faith and after a handful of rejections, reminded me that God always has a greater plan in mind.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Scott Wojciechowski in the Office of Student Life made the greatest impact on me during my four years at HPU. At the end of my freshman year, I joined his peer mentor program. By the end of my sophomore year, I was on the board because he saw potential in me as a leader. He encouraged me to be confident in my abilities and to be a model leader for HPU and the community.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was joining the leadership team for campus outreach. This campus ministry helped me grow deeper in my relationship with Jesus and other believers, while utilizing my spiritual gifts through the Student Government Association. I was able to reach many facets of campus through the SGA role on the leadership team, and I am forever grateful for my time as a leader in campus outreach.”

Advice for underclassmen: “‘Excellence takes time.’ – Megan Mouton, a rising senior at HPU, shared this with me regarding my job search. The placement rate at HPU sets a high standard, but remember, it is based on career placement within six months of graduation. It doesn’t happen right away, and that’s okay.”