Freshman Profile: Ready to Come Home

HPU’s newest cohort of students represents a wide variety of academic achievement, service, backgrounds, cultures and geographic locations. Elena Lewis, one member of the Class of 2020, brings with her many accolades and achievements in speech and debate. Below, discover how she plans to make the most out of her time at HPU: 

Name: Avery Smith

Hometown: North Salem, New York

High school attended: John Jay High School in Cross River, New York 

Accomplishments: Smith was selected to assist in running and speaking at her high school’s mental health awareness day. She also organized and ran Denim Day, which raised money for organizations that assist those who have been affected by sexual assault. Smith interned with the director of the Westchester Community Center where food and clothing are provided for thousands of households across more than 38 communities in Northern Westchester, and a range of classes and special programs are offered. At the Community Center, she also worked works directly with clients to assist them in gaining access to other resources, including health care, education and social services. She is a competitive horseback rider and plays field hockey, basketball and lacrosse. Smith was part of her high school’s selective choral group and she maintained two jobs year-round as a student, one of which included working closely with a special needs child. 

Major: Psychology

Why you chose HPU:My first visit to High Point University made me feel genuinely welcome. The size, location and intimate environment will provide the academic discipline as well the diverse curriculum that will make me a better student and a well rounded, successful global citizen. During a return trip to campus, I had the honor of hearing President Qubein speak, and that was when I really knew HPU was the school for me. Listening to Dr. Qubein speak inspired me and made me excited for the future. His speech was so encouraging and one I will never forget. Throughout the admissions process, I have worked closely with the Office of Admissions, and it is so clear how much they care and how truly they want each and every student to succeed. I felt at home at HPU beginning day one.”

What you’re looking forward to at HPU: “I am looking forward to entering a new chapter, making lifelong friends and establishing meaningful relationships with professors. I look forward to finding people who share common interests and meeting people from all over the world to experience diversity on campus. I am so excited to start taking psychology classes, to receive an extraordinary education, join clubs and participate in Greek life. I am counting the days until I get to call the most beautiful campus in the world my new home.”