Internship Profile: Ally Pratapas Practices Trade Marketing

Name: Ally Pratapas

Hometown: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Major: Strategic communication with a minor in sales

Internship: Pratapas is interning for Reynolds American Incorporated this summer as a trade marketing intern in Raliegh, North Carolina. She has the opportunity to work alongside an amazing team, where she’s been assisting in developing plans for innovative next-generation products and opportunities to enhance business strategies.

How HPU helped you get there: “Coming out of high school I was so shy and nervous, but High Point University has shown me the sky is the limit. I’ve been able to grow as a young professional and really come into my own. Without HPU I know I wouldn’t have had access to the opportunities and resources that have helped me get to where I am today. The Office of Career & Professional Development has been instrumental in everything I’ve done so far at HPU. I remember making my first appointment to meet with an advisor my freshman year and now I’m a regular during their drop-in hours. They help direct me for professional development and career opportunities, and I use everything from the career bar to the various career and internship fairs they host throughout the year. My everyday work includes going out to lunch with various personnel from management and account teams, and it’s during these times I see the true benefits of HPU’s learning labs such as 1924 Prime. Having spent so much time in a setting where I learned to act and look professional, it is now second nature to me. I’ve even been complimented repeatedly on my etiquette, and I always say it’s all thanks to High Point University.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU is my academic advisor, Dr. Phil Watson, in the School of Communication. He encourages me to take risks and embark on new adventures through my current internship. I know that I can always stop by his office for advice on anything.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “I know that the skills I’m developing through this internship will no doubt prove useful to me in the future. No day so far has been the same, which is what I love, and it’s taught me to be adaptable to find excitement in new opportunities. This internship has also challenged me to think outside of the box when it comes to developing plans to keep the company competitive.”

Share your news with us for a chance to be featured!