Internship Profile: Aurora Jaques Learns About the Legal System

Name: Aurora Jaques 

Hometown: Irvine, California

Major: Criminal justice with double minors in sociology and philosophy

Internship: Jaques joined the Institute for Justice as a strategic research intern in Arlington, Virginia, this summer. The Institute for Justice is the nation’s leading libertarian public interest law firm, defending property rights, economic liberty, First Amendment freedoms and school choice. Its strategic research program is an initiative that combines high-quality social science and policy research. Jaques responsibilities include reviewing literature, data, and reports to assist with litigation processes.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU provided me the opportunity to conduct undergraduate research with one of my favorite professors last summer. The research I helped conduct on the use of educational tablets in jails made me a competitive applicant for the internship I have now. I wouldn’t have been able to do it without the opportunities at HPU. The Office of Career and Professional Development helped me articulate my research experience on my resume to come across professionally to potential employers.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Thomas Dearden has been instrumental in motivating my passion for the overlap between research and the law. Last summer, I had the privilege of working directly with him and two other students in researching the effects of an educational tablet on recidivism in Guilford County. Dr. Dearden is always available whenever I have questions or just want to talk about what I find fascinating in the criminal justice system. Dr. Scott Ingram has also been equally instrumental in furthering my passion for law and criminal justice. As a former prosecutor, his classes, three of which I have already taken and another two I will take in the fall, are extremely engaging. He is also our mock trial team’s dedicated coach. I am confident I can always go talk to him about whatever questions and concerns I have going into the legal field.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship experience has been incredible thus far. I have had the privilege of working alongside law students and top lawyers, which has further ignited my passion to go to law school.”