Internship Profile: Jennifer Urena Interns with Volvo

Jennifer Urena

Name: Jennifer Urena

Hometown: Danbury, Connecticut 

Major: International business with minors in economics, finance and Spanish

Internship: Urena is serving as a purchasing intern with the Volvo Group in Greensboro, North Carolina. She is performing various tasks to support purchasing managers, supplier quality engineers and day-to-day activities. Managing supplier relationships and analyzing key components of the supply chain are also encompassed within her purchasing intern duties.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has provided me the resources needed to land this internship. My campus involvement has given me the opportunity to hold leadership positions that have taught me to manage my time, prioritize and produce quality results, all of which are qualities actively sought by employers. At HPU, one of the most valuable lessons I have learned is to always be prepared and how to produce answers to tough questions. Since my freshman year, I have been working with different career advisors in the Office of Career and Professional Development who have guided me in polishing my resume and cover letter and perfecting interview skills. I am especially thankful for my advisor, April Cosner, who gave me the tools I needed to get started in my professional development. I am also grateful for Faith Cochran, who supported me through my recruiting process at Volvo Group.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “It seems almost impossible for me to pick just one mentor. Through the years, I have learned from several amazing people who have impacted my career and my time a HPU. My supervisors Dr. Craig Curty in Academic Services, and Mrs. Gretchen McMullen Sanchez in the Modern Languages department have certainly supported me in achieving my goals and becoming a better professional. Dr. Peter Summers and Dr. Bob Hirth, my undergraduate research advisors, taught me so much about launching and developing a career. The faculty advisor for Model United Nations, Mr. Jody Bowman, has taught me about problem-solving, remaining calm in a storm, but most of all, has believed in me as I have grown into a leader for the organization. Mrs. Teresa Parker and Mrs. Carolyn Adams, who encourage me every day to keep up my hard work because “¡sí se puede!”. The list could certainly continue with many more impactful mentors HPU has given me the opportunity to work with.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “Interning at Volvo is preparing me with the tools I need to be successful at a full-time job. The internship is allowing me to explore the important sides of business, such as supply chain and multiple other areas. I am observing negotiations, supplier relations, people development, formulations of business cases and much more. One of the most important things I’m learning comes from the people I work with. I’ve had the wonderful opportunity to work with seasoned professionals and new hires. The examples of hard work and perseverance that they each show are some of the most valuable lessons I’ll take away from this experience. My internship is equipping me with the right tools to be a well-rounded professional in a very diverse environment.”