Class of 2019 Outcomes: Alexandra Vaughn Goes For Graduate School

With another successful commencement behind us, High Point University seniors have kicked-off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019: 

Name: Alexandra Vaughn

Hometown: Reading, Pennsylvania

Major: Game and interactive media design with a minor in psychology

Post-graduation plans: Vaughn is attending Southern Methodist University for the Guildhall design track in Dallas, Texas. 

How HPU helped you get there: “My professors were my number one advocates, cheerleaders and mentors during my time at HPU. They cultivated my talents and pointed me in the right direction for various opportunities that directly aided me in getting into graduate school. Without their support, I would never have been able to be a president of a club, to have participated in undergraduate research and to have presented my senior capstone project at the East Coast Gaming Conference with such confidence and poise. I’m so grateful for all of the gaming faculty and I will miss them terribly.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I don’t think I could pick one mentor, as every single one of my professors guided me in different regards for my personal and professional life. Dr. Kristina Bell was a strong female ally in a male-dominated space, she helped me hone my narrative skills and was always there when I needed her most. Even though I only met Dr. Kelly Tran my senior year, but she became a confidant and role model to me. Professor Brian Heagney always pushed me to be the best version of myself both academically and inter-personally. Dr. Stefan Hall taught me about how the industry worked and helped me to open doors to internships and grad schools. All of these people helped to shape me to who I am post-grad and I will never be able to thank them enough. They really became my family away from home.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “I’ve enjoyed all my time at HPU so much, there are too many wonderful moments to chose just one.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Make sure you take every opportunity given to you during undergrad. Even if something seems small, it’s a chance to build your resume and it may end up being that one thing that sets you apart from every other candidate. Befriend your professors, visit them during office hours and constantly ask them for advice and feedback. They will become your greatest allies and support system while you are away from home.”