Class of 2019 Outcomes: Emily Sokol Joins Boston Children’s Hospital

With another successful Commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are kicking off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Emily Sokol

Hometown: Atlanta, Georgia

Major: Nonprofit leadership and management with a minor in human relations

Post-graduation plans: Sokol joins Boston Children’s Hospital as a patient experience representative where she works with two pediatric cardiologists. Becoming a part of the cardiology department allows Sokol to form close connections with patients and their families and to be the patients first point of contact for making their hospital stay more comfortable.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has helped me discover my education and career path when I was truly undecided. Combining my interests and supporting my academics, my advisor, professors and career services helped me discover my true direction. I was comfortable asking questions and reaching out to these people because they made me feel important. I used the Office of Career and Professional Development for several things. I often made appointments to discover career opportunities, cover letter and resume edits, and researching graduate school.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Pamela Palmer went above and beyond to show me how much she truly cared about my future and my education. I was comfortable contacting her about anything I needed. She was my comfort zone at HPU and her office felt like a second home to me. I remember being so overwhelmed with a project and she spoke with me on the phone offering constructive criticism and offering to work with me one on one. I truly can’t thank her enough.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Discovering Big Brothers Big Sisters was my most impactful moment at HPU. I spent four years mentoring my “little sister” and teaching her the life skills that HPU taught me. I was honored to be the support system for her that HPU was for me.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Become close with your professors, and take advantage of any extra opportunities. My professors became my mentors, and my classmates became my teammates. Getting to know the students and professors within my major created such a strong support system for me that I will forever have and be thankful for.”