Class of 2019 Outcomes: Hanna Callahan Coordinates with Corporate Fitness Works

With another successful Commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates have kicked-off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Hanna Callahan

Hometown: Maplewood, New Jersey

Major: Exercise science

Post-graduation plans: Callahan will is working for Corporate Fitness Works as the assistant health fitness program manager to develop safe and effective exercise programs, provide general supervision, administer fitness assessments and give result counseling. She is assisting members with reaching their personal training goals by teaching new and innovative group exercise classes, assisting with developing and implementing creative incentive and health promotion programs and interacting with client and members to establish mutually beneficial relationships. 

How HPU helped you get there: “Getting an on-campus job is 100% what kept me interested in fitness and continued to lead me down my path in the world of fitness. HPU’s Recreation Services is the best thing to have happened to me during my time as a student and is the reason I have the experience I needed for this job. The Office of Career & Professional Development helped me to get my resume and professional materials in order when applying for jobs.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My coworkers Amy and Austin and my boss, Mat Allred, of HPU Recreation Services had such a huge impact on me as an individual and as a student searching for what she wanted to do with her life post-grad. They created such a welcoming environment for myself and the other Rec employees, and they provided me with the opportunities to gain experience in fitness and management. The trust they put in a student to be responsible and run one of the busiest student recreation facilities on campus, is unlike any other collegiate facility. Those three are truly who have kept me inspired to continue the work I did while at HPU.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment was the spring of 2017 when I took the Exercise Physiology Maymester to Denver, Colorado and attended The American College of Sports Medicine conference. This experience, under the guidance of Dr. Kimberly Reich, was an impactful and differential way to teach exercise physiology. The way the class was taught, provided me a hands-on approach, and the ratio of class and lab time to conference attendance was a great combination of learning the material, to seeing how it is applied in a professional setting. This conference allowed me to not only understand the applied physiological responses but opened me up to the realm of exercise as a prescription the bodies actions.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Use your professors! HPU has a smaller student to professor ratio, and it is only to your benefit to utilize the person who is teaching you the material that you need to know for post-grad life. Remember that it’s ok to take a break. If an assignment has you worked up and you’re struggling to focus, it’s totally acceptable to close what you’re working on, walk away from it for a moment to clear your head and come back to it. Just make sure your assignment gets handed in on time. Prioritize YOU. This is college, a time where life is testing you to push yourself to the fullest extent. Doing something that you enjoy outside of the required work will help you through some of those tougher times.”