Internship Profile: Alexa Maldonado Jumpstarts a Career with Ben & Jerry’s

Name: Alexa Maldonado

Hometown: Brooklyn, New York

Major: Event management with a minor in marketing

Internship: Maldonado is interning with Ben & Jerry’s as a marketing and sales coordinator in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. She is in charge of managing new and existing catering partner relations by creating a database for potential partnerships and coordinating off-premise new flavor Snack & Share meetings. Maldonado is also creating other off-premise marketing initiatives to promote sales growth across the entire Southeast, primarily in North Carolina and Atlanta.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University provides the connections and resources needed for me to best present myself in a professional setting. Never having worked on a business team before, I was apprehensive before starting my internship but the small class sizes, relationships with my professors and various mock interviews all offered to me through HPU made the transition much easier than I anticipated. The Office of Career and Professional Development aided me tremendously during my fall semester of sophomore year when I made the decision to change my major. Switching from the Congdon School of Health Sciences to the Nido R. Qubein School of Communication was a necessary decision for me to best utilize my personal strengths. I wouldn’t have found the career path best suited for me without the help of everyone in that office. With their help, I have not only landed an internship but also a long-term job as the marketing coordinator for Ben & Jerry’s while still an undergraduate.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU has been Dr. Brianna Clark. She has been so helpful in assisting me as I plan out my courses to finish my time at HPU and plan out my post-graduation career. She’s been a mentor in and out of the classroom, pushing me as I strive to become a successful event professional like herself.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship experience has been so beneficial and enriching. I’ve learned so much about how to work in a team setting and how to manage multiple on-going projects at once. This internship has opened my eyes to the field of marketing, something I was close-minded to before starting the internship. Now, I’m excited to continue learning more about the world of marketing as I carry on my work with Ben & Jerry’s as a part-time marketing coordinator.”