Internship Profile: Dru Loman Interns with the Dallas Wings

Name: Dru Loman

Hometown: Wilmington, North Carolina

Major: Sport communication with a minor in marketing

Internship: This summer, Loman served as a marketing and community relations intern with the Dallas Wings, a WNBA team, in Dallas, Texas. He worked on high-priority projects and executed high impact community programs. Loman created relationships with dozens of non-profit organizations in the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area, front office staff and players. He also served as a liaison while assisting with media personnel on game days.

How HPU helped you get there: “Being a student at HPU has given me a sense of urgency and determination. Instead of sitting in the back seat waiting for things to happen, I chose to hop in the driver’s seat and go full speed ahead. HPU always reiterates the importance of networking, LinkedIn profiles, internships and resumes. I was aware of these elements, but never truly realized that perfecting and strengthening them can lead you to conquer your dreams. High Point University’s Cottrell Hall is an amazing and innovative building with so many resources. Many tasks I was asked to perform during my internship related to my academic experiences at HPU. From public speaking and event planning, to developing a knowledge of marketing plans and logistics, my classes at HPU helped to develop skills in those areas. I also had the opportunity to gain academic credit for this internship. The Office of Career and Professional Development and my internship advisor, Faith Cochran, made the process easy by providing all of the potential possibilities and information for that to happen.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor is Britt Carl in the Office of Student Success. She is the older sister I never had and is always rooting for me. Britt has an amazing heart and is willing to help with whatever I need. She has such an uplifting spirit and provides great words of encouragement and expertise.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship experience has been incredible. I have worked closely with the director of community development, the manager of social responsibility, the team’s professional players and Greg Bibb, the President and CEO of the Dallas Wings. From a leadership perspective, I had the opportunity to run the very first Dallas Wings Her Time To Play event, an inspirational initiative meant to encourage young female athletes to play basketball. Not only did I have the chance to work internally with the front office, but also externally with other offices involved in the league. I assisted with multiple community relations events across the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area, such as player appearances at The Salvation Army, Children’s Medical Center of Dallas and the Boys and Girls Club. This internship has shown me what really goes on behind the scenes of a sports organization, from multiple meetings regarding sponsorships, sales and social media, to logistics for traveling and game day scripts. It really does take a team to get everything done. Networking with professionals who have worked in the sports industry for years and soaking up the wisdom and knowledge they have to share has been invaluable.”