Internship Profile: Joseph Shomaker Uses Marketing Major at Hobsons

Name: Joseph Shomaker

Hometown: Purcellville, Virginia

Major: Marketing with a minor in sport management

Internship: Shomaker spent the summer with Hobsons as the product marketing intern, responsible for a variety of tasks, including creating new content to use for advertising and sales, tracking website analytics data and researching competitor firms to gather intel for Hobsons marketing, product and sales teams. As a Hobsons intern, he had the opportunity to work on a summer-long capstone project that culminated with a presentation to company leadership.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU prepared me for the future by providing the tools necessary to thrive outside of the classroom. With the Office of Career and Professional Development available to review my resume and cover letter, along with the excellent professors to teach proper business etiquette and create challenging learning atmospheres, HPU has given me everything I need to produce results. All of my professors show a genuine interest in my future, and always offer their support to assist me in reaching my goals and aspirations. Having personal connections with my professors and them know me not just by name, but as an individual, is a surreal feeling and not something obtainable at other schools. I used the Office of Career and Professional Development to help me understand the internship application process and best practices when applying. Their advice and knowledge is a great resource. Even when there are no last-minute appointments available, I am comforted to know I can stop by and ask questions during their provided drop-in hours.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor has been Dr. Miguel Sahagun. Dr. Sahagun was my first marketing professor at HPU and I have been fortunate enough to have him as a professor for two classes thus far, Principles of Marketing and Marketing in Spain, a study abroad Maymester course. Dr. Sahagun has taught me more about marketing than I could ever imagine. He is always offering suggestions and advice to engage students and makes students his top priority. He has given me the opportunity to join his undergraduate research team for my last two years at HPU, to help me grow as a marketing professional and student. Without Dr. Sahagun I wouldn’t be where I am today and I’m very thankful for his mentorship and guidance.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship experience at Hobsons has been fantastic. The marketing team allowed me to jump right in on the first day. Everyone I have worked with has given me a great wealth of knowledge and I am learning something new every day. This internship is preparing me for my future by giving me the opportunity to gain firsthand experience in a corporate marketing team. Hobsons’ company goal is to connect learning to life, and both Hobsons and HPU allow me to do so, by aligning my college coursework to this internship. This position has helped me to confirm that marketing is a passion of mine and something that I look forward to pursuing after graduation!”