Internship Profile: Lexi Sanders Works at WGN, Tribune Media

Name: Lexi Sanders

Hometown: Naperville, Illinois

Major: Journalism with a minor in political science

Internship: Sanders spent the summer with WGN Channel 9 News in Chicago as the creative services intern. During her internship, she ran social media, shadowed reporters, recorded promos, attended WGN sponsored festivals such as Taste of Chicago, brainstormed story ideas and helped produce marketing plans to better promote the station.

How HPU helped you get there: “Being a journalism student, I was able to use all the skills I learned in my classes to help me land this internship. During my time working with WGN, I used almost everything I learned in my classes and is reassuring to know that what I’m learning is relevant to the industry today. I went to the Office of Career and Professional Development since my sophomore year to learn how to look for internships, create a resume, and write a cover letter. All of the content Dr. Doug Hall helped me write is still what I use today. My first day when my boss was going over our job expectations, he took us out to eat at a nice restaurant. I felt incredibly prepared because of the skills I learned at 1924 Prime, HPU’s fine dining learning lab.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Bobby Hayes is my most impactful mentor because of how much he cares for his students. Dr. Hayes pushed me out of my comfort zone with a story assignment last year that brought me to the Regional Journalism Conference where I was selected as a finalist. He encourages and checks in on his students and is so willing to help us become the most successful versions of ourselves that we can be.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship has helped me solidify the idea that I want to work in the digital department of a news station by writing stories for the website and running social media.”