Class of 2019 Outcomes: Matt Boyle Migrates to Mutual of Omaha

With another successful commencement behind us, High Point University seniors have kicked-off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019: 

Name: Matt Boyle

Hometown: Bel Air, California

Major: Business administration and minors in psychology and sales

Post-graduation plans: Boyle joins Mutual of Omaha as a financial advisor in Baltimore, Maryland, where he sells life and health insurance policies, annuities and other financial services. It is his job to help people navigate their futures and achieve their financial goals.

How HPU helped you get there: “In addition to my classes, HPU offered me opportunities to learn outside what is taught in the classroom. Meetings with the sales club, investment club and other events, helped me learn the ins and outs of being a business professional. The Office of Career and Professional Development was instrumental in helping me create a resume to stand out, find internships and demonstrate confidence during interviews. These skills are paramount in getting your foot in the door of a company.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Larry Quinn had the most impact on my HPU career. He taught me how to be a persuasive negotiator, how to reach a goal that is mutually beneficial fo me and my clients. He has a great deal of compassion for all of his students.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The moment that had the most impact on me was not doing as well as I wanted in a statistics class first semester of junior year. I had never done poorly in a class at any level, and it was a wake-up call. It taught me that I could never settle and that just one more hour a day of studying was worth it. My mantra then became ‘one more,’ whether it was one more hour of study, one more practice question or one more activity to ensure that I reach my goals. I will carry this throughout my career, always trying to get one more client the help they need.

Advice for underclassmen: “My goal was to have a career lined up before I graduated, and I was very anxious when that goal was not met. But two days after the ceremony, three recruiters reached out. My advice would be not to stress too much about finding a job immediately, but never stop working to find an opportunity or make one for yourself.”