Internship Profile: Shaylyn Kelly Networks with NASCAR

Name: Shaylyn Kelly

Hometown: Bedford, New Hampshire

Major: Human relations with a minor in event management

Internship: Kelly joined the New Hampshire Motor Speedway this summer as the communications and events intern and works with both the event and communication management teams. Her responsibilities include planning, preparing and executing press conferences, media events and coordinating entertainment such as band, Fan Zone and VIP’s. Kelly’s communication responsibilities revolve around the development, editing and proofing of press releases, media guides, souvenir programs, fan guides and brochures.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has opened many doors to new and exciting opportunities for my future, and my academics are the gateway to my successes. The work ethic I have shown has gotten me to where I am today, combined with the help of Dr. Tofanelli, Dr. Ritter and Dr. Bergen, have paved the way for several of my opportunities. I have gained a tremendous amount of confidence, developed an understanding of corporate events and enhanced my communication and public relation knowledge throughout my college career. My professors have challenged me to dream big and work hard. I have had the opportunity to work with the Office of Career and Professional Development, several times. I am a member of the Leadership Fellows, which is currently preparing me to lead, give, serve and make a positive impact on our global community. During these meetings, especially with the Office of Career and Professional Development, I am learning to maximize my personal and professional success.” 

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I would like to thank Dr. Tofanelli and Dr. Ritter for impacting my life in such an immense way. They have challenged me to reflect on my future career as a professional woman encouraging me to be mindful that all aspects including physical presentation, speaking capabilities, teamwork, expertise and timeliness, matter. As a result of their insights and my determination, I landed a wonderful internship this summer.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship experience has honestly felt like a dream. I have been a NASCAR fan for years and now I am interning for New Hampshire Motor Speedway. Throughout my college career, I have been learning to write media advisories, public service announcements, personnel releases and the list goes on. I am now applying my writing skills with the confidence to assist my site supervisor’s work and my extraordinary education has allowed me to succeed throughout my internship and undoubtedly with my future career. The growth mindset my professors have cultivated in me has resulted in this woman feeling courageous enough to join a predominantly male field, assisting in executing major events, and having my NASCAR dream become a reality.”