Alumna Embodies the Entrepreneurial Spirit

Ally-Catherine Trenary, ’14, from Lafayette, Louisiana, launched June St. George to meet a need in the textile industry — creating custom rugs made with 100% New Zealand wool to revolutionize interior design spaces.

Her business works like this: Customers visit junestgeorge.com and select their preferred pattern, material, colors and more to place their order. Then Trenary and her team bring the vision to life.

Trenary launched her business after her HPU experiences culminated, and is now based in Raleigh, North Carolina. From the industry connections and real-world experience she gained as a student, she learned to embrace an entrepreneurial spirit. Her business is expanding so quickly that Trenary recently began creating custom pillows as well as rugs.

“I participated in the High Point Furniture Market and the textile market for two years while I attended HPU,” says Trenary. “That experience gave me insight into the industry that was invaluable for networking and starting June St. George. I also made sure to attend any special presentations the School of Art and Design offered outside the classroom. Often times those speakers would offer extra projects to take participate in, and it was one such project that eventually led to the inspiration for June St. George. In the project, we created our own rugs and got to see from start to finish what the process is like.

“I never imagined that years later that very experience would have such an impact on my life. When I was looking for a career change, a mentor suggested I should be running my own business. When we looked at my portfolio from my time at HPU, this project was the one that stood out.”

When she thinks back on the journey from student to business owner, Trenary thinks of HPU.

“HPU gives you all the skills you need outside the classroom and around campus,” Trenary says. “You see the values of the university modeled in the faculty, but also in the staff who care for the campus grounds and the students. HPU taught me to have the confidence to learn. Having a growth mindset, always looking toward the future and thinking ahead were other lessons HPU taught me, which I constantly tried to emulate when starting this company.”