Class of 2019: Emily Casper Nurtures an Interest in Nursing

With another successful commencement behind us, High Point University seniors have kicked-off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019: 

Name: Emily Casper

Hometown: Benicia, California

Major: Exercise science with a focus on health and wellness and a minor in Spanish

Post-graduation plans: Casper is attending Saint Louis University to pursue a master’s in nursing. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has allowed me the opportunity and environment to grow in my academics and as an individual. I performed research in the Human Biomechanics & Physiology Lab under one of my professors. Through that research, I put concepts I learned in classes to work in a hands-on way. I also learned the importance of collaboration and teamwork. In May of 2018, I studied abroad in Seville, Spain, where I completed my Spanish minor. There, I built interpersonal relationships with my classmates, professors and host family. I was prepared by HPU and the Office of Global Education to adapt to unfamiliar environments and embrace cultural differences. The Office of Career and Professional Development connected me with my career advisor, Emily Long, who helped me create a LinkedIn profile, strengthen my resume and refine my interview skills through mock interviews. These resources helped me gain acceptance to a graduate school and will be useful in my future endeavors in professional settings.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My freshman Success Coach, Britt Carl, played a large role in my transition into college. Being so far away from home was hard and she was someone who made me feel comfortable and at ease in my adjustment to college life. We would meet every couple of weeks to talk about how my classes were going, how I was doing and even sometimes just to talk. Knowing someone was in my corner to help in any way possible was invaluable.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was seeing Dr. Qubein around campus on a day-to-day basis. He has the most cheerful and uplifting spirit, and he cares about his students. One moment in particular that I remember was when I was sitting in the Slane Student Center studying and he sat down next to me to talk. He asked how my week was going and what I was studying for. I think it is amazing that the President of our school cares enough about each student to have a genuine conversation with them.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Get involved in anything and everything that you can, take advantage of the countless opportunities that HPU has to offer and don’t be afraid to fail because everything happens for a reason.”