Class of 2019 Outcomes: Carly Garr Generates Graphics for NBC GolfNow

With another successful commencement behind us, High Point University seniors have kicked-off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019: 

Name: Carly Garr

Hometown: Kintnersville, Pennsylvania

Major: International business with a minor in marketing

Post-graduation plans: Garr joins NBCUniversal’s GolfNow, a division of the Golf Channel, as a business services specialist. She is creating graphics, marketing materials and e-mail campaigns for golf courses that align themselves within The Golf Channel/GolfNow. Her position is a mix of design, marketing and account management. Some of the golf courses Garr will be working with have clients that primarily speak Spanish and Portuguese. She is using her degree, knowledge of international languages and love of graphic creation to the fullest. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU taught me to make myself stand out. I think what really set me apart when I was interviewing was that I had done multiple internships in the U.S., as well as abroad. It was an excellent talking point when interviewing, and HPU definitely pushed me to find those internships, positions and most importantly, to make connections with people who wanted to help me succeed. I used the Office of Career and Professional Development my freshman year. I walked in there the first semester and said “I want an internship.” They helped me to identify strengths in my resume and what could be improved. This set the standard for me on what I wanted to achieve throughout my college career. I knew I wanted to set myself apart, and having Career and Professional Development assist during my freshman year was a reason I was able to accomplish what I did.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU is Dr. David Little. He always helped me with projects, but on top of that, he was an advocate for my future career. I think I complained to him every day about how I had no idea what I was going to do in the future or where I would end up, but he was always in my corner, editing my cover letters, reviewing my resume and more. I used to give a lot of tours to potential students through Admissions, and I always told the families that I took on tour about how incredible the professors are at HPU. Dr. Little was always my example of how wonderful they really are.”

Most Impactful Moment at HPU: “One of the most impactful moments for me was meeting students I had given a tour to, and them saying to me, “Oh my gosh! You gave me my tour, you are the reason I decided to come to HPU!” It really makes you feel so warm and happy that you helped someone make one of the biggest decisions of their lives. Being able to express my love for HPU, and then seeing other students choose HPU, is priceless.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Internships, internships, internships! I’m sure a lot of people say this, but it really is the best way to gain experience. I had no idea I wanted to do graphic design until I completed an internship in Spain and realized I loved it. Never be afraid to reach out and ask for help. Find a connection, talk to alumni and connect with people on LinkedIn. You never know what could happen, so always take the chance!”