Class of 2019 Profile: Michael Crowley Assists with Athletic Graphics

With another successful commencement behind us, High Point University seniors have kicked-off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019: 

Name: Michael Crowley

Hometown: Dumont, New Jersey

Major: Graphic design and a minor in marketing

Post-graduation plans: Crowley joins the College of the Holy Cross as the athletic graphic designer. He is responsible for the creation of engaging, brand-consistent artwork, including graphics for use in marketing campaigns, social media and publications.

How HPU helped you get there: “While I was at HPU, my professors taught me how to become a well-rounded designer and to be prepared to design on all platforms. I had assignments from social media and advertisements, to packaging and type layout, and I have used these skills every single day at Holy Cross. The variety of class projects over the past four years have made this transition to a professional designer as smooth as it could have been. I am three months out of college, and I have designed billboards, football game season ticket booklets and was part of a social media rebrand by implementing #GoCrossGo.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I owe it all to my professors, especially Dr. Janis Dougherty. I was her student for six semesters at HPU, and she taught me lessons that I use every day in a professional setting.  All of my design professors shaped me into a well-rounded designer that can produce “very handsome work,” as the late Allan Beaver would say.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Presenting my final portfolio at the senior graphic design portfolio showcase before graduation. It was amazing and gave me the opportunity to show off four years worth of hard work to my peers and local industry professionals.:”

Advice for underclassmen: “Think of everything as potential portfolio work. I didn’t understand the value of having a good portfolio until it was almost too late. Start building your portfolio early in college so that you have something substantial by graduation.”