Freshman Profile: Appreciating Athletics and Academics

HPU’s newest cohort of students represents a wide variety of academic achievement, service, backgrounds, cultures and geographic locations. Sarah Malone, one member of the Class of 2023, brings with her many academic accolades and athletic accomplishments. Below, discover how she plans to make the most out of her time at HPU: 

Name: Sarah Malone

Hometown: Waunakee, Wisconsin

High school attended: Waunakee Community High School which in Madison, Wisconsin.

Accomplishments: Malone graduated with summa cum laude honors, was a member of National Honor Society and Spanish Honor Society and was on the leadership team for her school’s fellowship of Christian athletes. She was on the superior honor roll all four years of high school with a GPA above a 4.0. Athletically, Malone’s volleyball team qualified for the state tournament in 2017 and she qualified for track and field state championships in 2018. She was named first-team all-conference and honorable mention all-state two years in a row for volleyball. Malone also qualified for state solo ensemble three years in a row for piano and qualified for the future problem solver’s state tournament four years in a row. 

Major: Undeclared

Why you chose HPU: “I initially became interested in High Point University for their volleyball team. Once I was on campus for presidential scholar’s weekend, I realized that HPU was the perfect fit for me athletically and academically. Every student I’ve met is welcoming and my interactions with professors are intriguing and leave me wanting to learn more from them. As someone who constantly thinks about the future, I believe HPU’s emphasis on life skills beyond traditional classrooms is a very attractive feature.”

What you’re looking forward to at HPU: “I am beyond excited to have begun classes in the honors program and exposing myself to a variety of challenging subjects and professors with the goal of guiding me to a major. As a history nerd, I am not yet sure what I want to study specifically, however, I love to write and do research. I am also excited to be on the volleyball team at HPU! I can’t wait to get on campus and experience the culture and spirit, both on and off the court. I know High Point University is known for striving toward excellence in every aspect of life, and I can’t wait to be part of it.”