Internship Profile: Abby Ray Makes a Difference with World Relief Triad

Name: Abby Ray

Hometown: High Point, North Carolina

Major: Philosophy with a minor in strategic communication

Internship: Ray worked with World Relief Triad as the opportunity services department intern, where her responsibilities and role supported finding employment for refugees who have been resettled. She worked with clients to offer services like writing resumes, applying for jobs, transportation, training for interviews and orientations and assisting with reading, writing and computer literacy at local libraries.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has been nothing less than what I expected since I toured. I knew when I came to High Point University that I wanted to work toward a job in advocacy and non-profit or legislative law. Every mentor I’ve had has helped me strategically choose classes and opportunities to expand my ability to research, write and campaign for my passions. HPU is continuing to enhance my skills in writing and communications work through my position as a student worker in the Office of Communications. I have visited the Office of Career and Professional Development for advice on selecting my major and they have been a huge asset in helping me decide what academic path I want to follow. Specifically, my freshman success coach, Giselle Mansi, and career adviser, Emily Long, both helped me in choosing philosophy as a major, allowing me to have more elective hours for classes in the Nido R. Qubein School of Communication and non-profit management classes.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Carpenter, who was the director of the Honors Program, has helped me the most. He challenged me to continue through difficult classes and to choose a major that would provide classes to teach me practical, professional skills and to think critically. Phil Watson, associate professor of communication, played a huge role in helping me learn about proper communication and meeting with me to talk about my career goals.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship with World Relief has taught me not only the skills necessary for maintaining a relationship with clients and managing a non-profit but also about how to better serve people and their needs. I know this is the main thing I want to do in whatever career I choose, and Dr. Qubein has helped me maintain the mindset that how you treat people matters. I know I will continue to volunteer with World Relief Triad, even after I return to school in the fall.”