Internship Profile: Briana Smalley Works with the Special Victim’s Unit

Name: Briana Smalley

Hometown: West Palm Beach, Florida

Major: Criminal justice with a minor in women and gender studies

Internship: Smalley worked with the State Attorney’s Office in West Palm Beach as a special victim’s unit intern. She was tasked to review forensic interviews and make notes in case files regarding statements from victims, offenders and possible witnesses. Smalley worked one-on-one with court proceedings to schedule depositions and other case-related events. She gathered information for case laws and evidence to help prosecutors further prepare for trials, and annotated any documentation of importance for the prosecutors.

How HPU helped you get there: “Upon being accepted to HPU, I was given the honor of becoming a Bonner Leader for the Bonner Leader Program. Being a Bonner Leader has allowed me to work at High Point Community Against Violence (HPCAV), under the supervision of Jim Summey, where I have gained experience working with local, state and federal law enforcement officers to deter crime in the city of High Point. I also was honored to become a student justice my sophomore year and just became a hearing chair for the Student Conduct Board this past semester. Without HPU, I would not have the experience and knowledge that has advanced me to where I am now. The opportunities I’ve been privileged to have allow me to further advance toward becoming a prosecutor. The Office of Career and Professional Development and Karen, my career advisor, helped me tremendously with my resume, interview skills and LinkedIn. HPU has one of the best Career and Professional Development offices, and I know I can always count on the staff there to help me with any questions I have.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Joe Blosser has been a vital part of my college and professional experience. As the director of service learning, Dr. Blosser has inspired me to be a change agent. From the start of my freshman year, I made my passion and desire to go to law school clear to him. I also told him that I wanted to be an active member in the legal field and Dr. Blosser made it happen by allowing me to be the first Bonner to ever work at HPCAV. After I went to him with the idea of bringing criminal justice professionals to campus to educate young professionals, Dr. Blosser helped me implement the second Social Innovation Series event on campus. I am honored to say that I was able to create such a strong relationship with Dr. Blosser. I owe a lot of gratitude to him and my fellow Bonners for creating and building such a strong Bonner Leader Program.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “Working alongside prosecutors who attended top-tier law schools and learning from them as an aspiring lawyer, is a dream come true. This internship propelled me forward on my road to becoming a prosecutor; the mentorship I received was like no other.”