Internship Profile: Caroline Labovitz Secured an Internship at Staples

Name: Caroline Labovitz

Hometown: Holden, Massachusetts 

Major: English literature with a minor in sales

Internship: Labovitz was the human resources compensation intern for Staples. In her role, she was a member of an implementation team comprised of compensation, HRBP, talent acquisition and worked with a third-party software development company to bring in a new HRIS compensation module commissioned by executive sponsors. Using market data to ensure Staples’ job descriptions are reflective of the industry at large, her focus centered on researching and revamping current descriptions for Staples’ contract and commercial business positions. Beyond her individual responsibilities, her internship fostered networking and educational opportunities with interns and full-time associates in other disciplines.

How HPU helped you get there: “I had an ‘a-ha’ moment while attending a meeting with the dean of the Phillips School of Business, Dr. Jim Wehrley, during my sophomore year. Dr. Wehrley asked each attendee what outreach efforts we were pursuing. In that moment, I realized that outreach was not exactly on my radar; I was so consumed with the day-to-day and not thinking about how to capitalize on my time away from HPU. Along with career-related pursuits, HPU’s English Department has given me the necessary tools to manifest a passion for the human experience and bring different perspectives to the workplace. The Office of Career and Professional Development offered me a second set of eyes when perfecting my resume.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My advisor, Dr. Bryan Vescio, is my most impactful mentor at HPU. He is always there when I need a sounding board or advice.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship experience has given me a feel for corporate culture—the 9-to-5, if you will. Without adhering to these disciplined hours and immersing myself in Staples’ culture, I would not have a clear idea of what being a contributor to a corporation like Staples entails. I am now comfortable with the momentum and structure of the day-to-day inner workings of a worldwide leader in their industry.”